The Lechner Family

Monday, March 20, 2006

Movie Review of V for Vendetta

Warning: This post contains political content and gives away some of the plot of V for Vendetta. Do not read further if this might bother you.

We went to see V for Vendetta last night. We got a sitter, we paid our money and it was an awful experience. This is why I don't go to the movies. I had hoped for a movie that encouraged me to explore the idea of terrorism-one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter-those kinds of ideas. I wanted to be challenged. I wanted to be able to make up my own mind. I was not allowed any of these things. In the moviemaker's mind, I must not be smart enough to get the "message" so they are going to beat me over the head with it so I don't miss it.

The movie was preachy and it promulgated tired stereotypes (Christian conservatives are evil and want to kill gays). At some points in the movie that I don't think were meant to be humorous, the audience laughed.

Steve called it an after-school special and said he would have walked out if he had been by himself. He thought it was perfectly awful. I was more generous with my comments, mostly because I had picked the movie and I didn't want to admit it had been a colossal waste of an afternoon.

2 Comments:

  • I would have warned you if I'd known you were going to see it. A for Agenda. Be challenged by books and go see Failure to Launch :-)

    By Blogger Anna, At 10:55 AM  

  • Claire wrote me today that she and her beau really liked it... I wonder if this is generational or ideological.

    By Blogger Ellen Clair Lamb, At 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home