The Lechner Family

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Sister Bob

Grace had an imaginary friend for a good long while when she was younger, her sister Bob. Bob often got to do things at her other mother's house (or utter mutter as Grace used to say) that Grace wasn't permitted to do in this house. Things like eating candy all day, drinking soda, watching whatever she wanted on TV, never taking naps, etc. Whenever Grace didn't like something I would ask her to do, she would claim that Bob never had to do such things in her utter mutter's house. Bob, while Grace's sister, also had another father. I was somewhat confused but Grace was steadfast in her beliefs. Grace would talk to Bob, talk to others about Bob, take "trips" with Bob and write letters to Bob.

I think it was last Easter (or maybe two Easters ago-time flies!) that Grace became somewhat obsessed with the crucifixion of Jesus. She would then describe people who had died as "dead but not on the cross like Jesus." Sister Bob died around this time, "but not on the cross like Jesus." Grace announced this matter-of-factly to anyone who would listen. I would then have to explain what she was talking about to the startled listener.

Yesterday, Grace asked me if I remembered that she had a sister Bob. I said, "Of course, I noted it in your baby book so you have a record when you talk to your therapist in a few years." No, I just said, "Of course." Grace went on to tell me that she never REALLY had a sister Bob. She was just joking. I was crushed! I thought it was funny and creative, and yes, a little odd and here she is disavowing the whole thing. How sad when they grow up!

The photo of Grace (below) was taken when she was about 2.5 and had clearly dressed and accessorized herself that day. Perhaps she and Sister Bob picked out the ensemble.

1 Comments:

  • HA! What a RIOT! I love that picture... and you should read Neil Gaiman's "Coraline," which Grace is still a little too young for.

    By Blogger Ellen Clair Lamb, At 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home