The Lechner Family

Thursday, January 12, 2006

A night of drama (and some comedy)

11:40 p.m. I had already been asleep for almost three hours (yes, I am old). I heard the sounds of a rain storm coming. I rolled over and thought how nice it would be to sleep with the sounds of rain (in January, in Maine).

11:50 p.m. A loud, startling boom woke me. The power was out. Grace started crying. I went to her room. "Mommy, I'm scared, Mommy, I'm scared, Mommy, I'm . . ." She's out like the lights. I search her closet for the flashlight she has stolen to play with. I find it and creep downstairs to find the number for the electric company. I called them and went back upstairs to my warm bed. Steve says, "That's some storm." Then he asked me to turn on the fan. I laugh.
I tried to go back to sleep but all I could think about was how we need a generator, all the work I have to do today, the need to back up my computer, how long food will last in the refrigerator without power, etc.

The power finally came back on. It is a gorgeous day here today-almost 50 degrees. Maybe we won't need to go to Florida to thaw. . .

1 Comments:

  • Wow, you had thunder? We didn't, 30 miles north of you. And it's not quite as warm up here, either.

    But I'll bring Grace her own flashlight as a hostess gift on Saturday.

    Ellen

    By Blogger Ellen Clair Lamb, At 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home