a language barrier
I just had a very lengthy and painful conversation with a contractor who kept asking me if he could come to finish the job after dinner. "Will tomorrow after dinner work?" or "How about Monday after dinner?"
Of course, I kept objecting because really, who wants contractors in the house after dinner? I am doing the dishes, getting the kids ready for bed, organizing for the next day. So we went back and forth and FINALLY I figured out that dinner = lunch. He wanted to come in the afternoon! DUH! I felt foolish and we were able to set up an acceptable time with little hassle.
I need an interpreter from Southern to whatever it is I speak.
PS: If my Grandad is reading this, he is completely mystified that I did not know what "dinner" means. That's all he ever calls "lunch." How could I not know that?
Of course, I kept objecting because really, who wants contractors in the house after dinner? I am doing the dishes, getting the kids ready for bed, organizing for the next day. So we went back and forth and FINALLY I figured out that dinner = lunch. He wanted to come in the afternoon! DUH! I felt foolish and we were able to set up an acceptable time with little hassle.
I need an interpreter from Southern to whatever it is I speak.
PS: If my Grandad is reading this, he is completely mystified that I did not know what "dinner" means. That's all he ever calls "lunch." How could I not know that?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home