I only contact you when I want something
I was sitting at my computer, pretending to work and contemplating whether I should be outraged at Netflix's price hike, if we should order pizza tonight, or whether I should run out for a sweet tea.
I was also fooling around on Facebook (the great time suck). One link led to another and suddenly I found myself at my friend Anna's blog.
She links to an acquaintance who started a fundraiser for the famine in the horn of Africa. You may not know where the horn of Africa is-I didn't really until we traveled there to get our son. You may not know about the famine in the horn of Africa. I had some vague awareness of it-like I know there's a revolution going on in Libya and the MTV Video Music Awards were this week. I just haven't paid close attention.
Until I saw the video and pictures posted and read the story of Sarah Lenssen and it reminded me that while I wrestle with where we are going for our next vacation and figuring out my new Nook Color, there are people, real people, people who could have been my son or my son's family, starving. And that was a powerful smack upside the head to do SOMETHING.
So I did. I gave to Sarah's campaign Askfor5. And I ask you to do so as well. Just $5. I promise I will never ask you to buy stuff for a school fundraiser or for my kids' sports teams. Thank you.
I was also fooling around on Facebook (the great time suck). One link led to another and suddenly I found myself at my friend Anna's blog.
She links to an acquaintance who started a fundraiser for the famine in the horn of Africa. You may not know where the horn of Africa is-I didn't really until we traveled there to get our son. You may not know about the famine in the horn of Africa. I had some vague awareness of it-like I know there's a revolution going on in Libya and the MTV Video Music Awards were this week. I just haven't paid close attention.
Until I saw the video and pictures posted and read the story of Sarah Lenssen and it reminded me that while I wrestle with where we are going for our next vacation and figuring out my new Nook Color, there are people, real people, people who could have been my son or my son's family, starving. And that was a powerful smack upside the head to do SOMETHING.
So I did. I gave to Sarah's campaign Askfor5. And I ask you to do so as well. Just $5. I promise I will never ask you to buy stuff for a school fundraiser or for my kids' sports teams. Thank you.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home